Author: Kelly Zhang
A light and healthy casserole that doesn’t taste healthy or light, and you won’t feel have to feel guilty coming back for seconds! It’s perfect as a main course or a side. See recipe notes for keto and gluten-free variations.
- 1 medium head or 550 g of cauliflower
- 25 g butter (about 2 tbsp)
- 10 g flour (about 2 tbsp)
- 150 mL milk
- 1 cup or 113 g of roughly chopped cheese (I used marbled cheddar)
- Steam cauliflower until almost fall-apart tender. I used my Instant Pot’s STEAM function (5 min @ high).
- While you let the cauliflower cool, add butter and flour to a medium saucepan on medium heat and whisk together.
- When thoroughly mixed, add milk and turn heat down to low. Whisk frequently until sauce thickens.
- Stir in two-thirds of the cheese and turn off heat.
- When cauliflower is cool enough to handle, break into small florets and add to saucepan. Stir, coating all the florets.
- Pour into a small glass casserole dish (or foil-lined baking pan) and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake at 375° F on the second-to-top rack for 25–30 minutes, or until golden on top.